Velvet fabric made from
Heat retention abilities
Recommended washing temperatures
Hand or machine wash
Commonly used in
Fashion, casual wear, underwear and shirts
Properties of cotton velvet fabric
1. Cotton fiber has good hygroscopicity. Its moisture content is 8-10%, so it makes people feel soft but not stiff when wearing a cotton fabric clothing. If the the cotton fabric tends to be wet, then the water contained in the fibers will evaporate and disperse, so that the fabric will maintain a water balance and make people feel comfortable.
2. Cotton fiber is a bad conductor of heat and electricity, the thermal conductivity of it is extremely low. So cotton fiber textiles have good thermal insulation, wearing cotton clothing will make people feel warm.
3. Pure cotton fabrics have good resistance to heat. When the temperature is below 110 ° C, it will only makes the water evaporate but not damage the fibers. Therefore, cotton velvet fabric is highly durable.
4. Cotton fiber also has great resistance to alkali that it won’t be damaged in alkaline solution. This property is propitious to dye and stamp to produce more new varieties of cotton fabrics.
5. Cotton fiber is a natural fiber, the main component of which is cellulose with a small amount of nitrogen and pectin. Pure cotton fabrics have no irritation and no negative effects to skin, which has been inspected and practiced in various aspects.
How to take care of cotton fabric?
1. Cotton fabric can be washed by hand or machine with various detergents, but due to the poor elasticity, do not scrub vigorously when washing to avoid being out of shape.
2. White clothes can be washed at high temperature with a strong alkaline detergent, while lingerie cannot be soaked in hot water to avoid yellowing. Coloured clothing are recommended to be washed in cold water by detergent or washing powder without bleaching ingredients to avoid discoloration.
3. White clothes can be soaked for 1 to 2 hours, which will make the clothing cleaner than before after washing. Do not soak coloured clothing for too long to avoid discoloration, but you can add a spoon of salt in the water to make the clothing avoid discoloration.
4. Coloured clothing should be washed separately from other clothes to avoid dyeing.
5. After washing and dehydration, it should be hung and dried quickly to reduce wrinkles. Except for white fabrics, do not expose to the sun directly to avoid the cotton fabrics from oxidizing faster due to the exposure, which will reduce the service life of the clothes and cause discoloration and yellowing.
Cotton velvet fabric vs chemical fiber velvet fabric
Compared with chemical fiber fabric, Cotton velvet fabric has better hygroscopicity, softness, and performance. However, because of its bad elasticity and wrinkle resistance, clothing made from cotton velvet will be simply wrinkled and not stiff after wearing and washing, which brings a lot of inconvenience to consumers in daily life.
Velvet made from chemical fibers are very elastic, durable and trim, but they are stiff and far less comfortable than pure cotton velvet fabrics and may have adverse reactions to human skin. Therefore, children’s clothes, especially underwear and bedclothes, you should use pure cotton fabric as much as possible. Therefore, nowadays, the price of pure cotton velvet fabrics is significantly higher than chemical fiber fabrics both at home and abroad.