Velvet is a soft, smooth and luxurious fabric that is usually made of silk, cotton and other fibers. Velvet fabric is an ideal fabric that has been popular for several centuries in the field of clothing, upholstery and other textile applications.
Silk velvet fabric is the earliest velvet fabric in the world and it was extremely expensive that was only accessible by the nobility. Due to the development of loom technology and synthetic fibers, velvet such as cotton velvet fabric, stretch velvet fabric and crushed velvet fabric is no longer expensive today.
What is Silk Velvet?
As the founder of the famous Silk Road, Chinese textile is famous all over the world. In China, silk is called “Queen of Fibers”. But why? Silk is a natural animal protein fiber. The same as wool, it is one of the earliest animal fibers used by human beings. Silk is smooth, soft and lustrous, it contains 18 amino acids that are of great nutritional value to the human body, which can help people maintain the metabolism of the surface of the skin and keep the skin moist and smooth. Its moisturizing effect on human skin is much better than chemical fiber fabrics and other natural fabrics. So it is known as the “Queen of Fibers” or “Second Skin of Human”, and is therefore well received by the world as a green product. The rate of water content of silk is close to the humidity required by the human body, so silk velvet, the velvet fabric that made of pure silk, is the best fabric for underwear in autumn and winter and bedding for four seasons, which has the characteristics of good heat retention, strong fit, smooth and transparent, washable, etc.
How to Recognize a Silk Velvet?
1. The appearance of silk velvet is translucent and soft, while the artificial silk is shiny but rough. Although the gloss of polyester fabric is uniform there has glittering dots or strips on the appearance, the gloss of nylon fabric is poor, which looks like covering with a layer of wax. So it is effective to distinguish silk velvet by watching.
2. The silk velvet is soft and elegant to touch and is flexible. It makes a silk sound when rubbed, and you will feel cool when touching the silk velvet. Although the artificial silk is softened, the appearance of it is still dimmer than the silk velvet. Chemical fiber velvet fabric is bright and dazzling, but touching stiff.
3. Take a bunch of silk yarn from the broken edge of the fabric and ignite, the silk fiber will burn slowly and curl into a ball with a smell of burning which is similar to hair. After burning, it is crushed into a powder after pressing lightly. The polyester fiber has a sweet smell when burning, and the residue is hard and black that is not easy to crush. The fiber of cellulose such as viscose velvet has a smell of paper when burning, and the residue is a little hoar.
4. Take out a piece of silk and moisten it, and then pull it from both ends. If it is easier to break in the wet place, then it is rayon fabric. If it is broken in the other place and the broken ends have different lengths of fiber, then it is a silk fabric.
5. If the silk is put into the disinfectant, it will gradually dissolve and disappear in three to five minutes.
How to Take Care of Silk Velvet?
1. Silk fabrics are woven from protein-based fibers, so they should not be washed in washing machines. We should immerse the clothes in cold water for 5-10 minutes, and slowly rub the silk with a special silk detergent or neutral soap. You can also use shampoo as the detergent when washing small silk fabrics such as silk scarves.
2. Silk velvet fabric should not be exposed to the sun after washing, nor should they be dried in a dryer. Generally, it should be placed in a cool and ventilated place to dry, because the ultraviolet rays in the sun can easily make the silk fabric fade, age and become yellow. Silk clothes should not be twisted to dry after washing. It should be shaken lightly and spread out to the opposite side. Dry to 70% before ironing or shaking.
3. The anti-wrinkle performance of silk fabric is worse than chemical fiber fabrics. When ironing, dry the clothes to 70% dry and spray the water evenly. Wait for 3 to 5 minutes before ironing. The temperature should be controlled below 150 °C, and the iron should not be pressed directly on the silk surface.
4. Silk velvet should not be stored with camphor pills during storage, otherwise, the fabric will become brittle.
Differences Between Silk Velvet and Cotton Velvet
Silk velvet fabric is thin, gorgeous, and elegant. It is a health-care natural fiber that is suitable for fashion and gowns, as well as underwear. However, it is more expensive than other velvet fabrics.
Cotton velvet fabric is heavier than silk velvet, but the water absorption of it is better than silk velvet. It is not only suitable for underwear but also for jackets and other coats. Cotton velvet is much cheaper than silk velvet.